All members of the Irish Setter Breeders Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) Will properly groom all dogs under their care.
16) Will ensure that puppies over twelve weeks of age are fully inoculated and that puppies under eight weeks of age are not, under normal circumstances, transferred to a new home.
17) Will agree not to breed from bitches less than two years of age and to ensure a minimum period of twelve months between litters for a bitch. Will, as stud dog owners, agree to satisfy themselves as to the suitability of the bitch and her breeding and the conditions in which the bitch and her litter will be reared.
18) Will acknowledge that permanent identification by micro chipping or tattooing is supported by this Club.
19) Will ensure that a copy of the Club’s general Code of Ethics is provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog.
20) Will, where a dog is to be exported, agree to treat the suitability of the country as a prime consideration.
21) Will, as members of this Club, always act in a fair and honest manner.
22) Will agree to co-operate fully with the Committee of this Club when it decides, supported by professional advice, to seek assistance from members in eradicating hereditary complaints and illnesses from the breed.
23) Will undertake not to breed from any dog or bitch which is not either DNA tested clear, or registered by the Kennel Club as hereditarily clear, of CLAD and PRA-rcd 1
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, (See Rule 10, Rules of the Club) and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.